Acquisition of Immovable Property - FAQ
Navigate Up
Sign In

Acquisition of Immovable Property - FAQ

Last updated: 07/08/2020

​1.What is the procedure to purchase immovable property in Malta?

When the prospective buyer identifies the immovable property to be purchased, he/she enters into a written agreement (convenium) a copy of which must be attached to the AIP application form.

Download application form for individuals.
Download application form for companies / bodies of persons.

2.How long does it take for an application to be processed?
In accordance with a Quality Service Charter, the AIP Section is committed to issue the requested permit within 35 days subject to application submitted being correct.

3.What do I need to submit with an application to acquire immovable property in Malta?

You need to attach the following documents with the relative application form duly filled in:

  •    two passport sized photo
  •    copy of promise of sale; (convenium)
  •    photocopy of passport showing details

4.What are the fees for an AIP Permit?
The fee payable on the issue of a permit is € 233.

5.What is the minimum immovable property price for a non-resident to purchase immovable property?
The minimum price is: € 136,972 for the purchase of a flat or maisonette; € 236,582 for the purchase of any other immovable property. (​LN316/20: Immovable Property Price Index)

6. Are there any conditions imposed on the permit?
The main conditions imposed on the permit are the following:
  • immovable property is to be used for residential purposes
  • a copy of the notarial deed is to be submitted to the AIP section after its publication
  • that the immovable property may not be sold in part, or otherwise into more than one dwelling house.

7. Can I rent my immovable property to third parties?
Property acquired by AIP permit cannot be rented out.

8. Can I acquire more than one immovable property in Malta?
As a non-resident, you are allowed to purchase only one immovable property in Malta unless it is situated in Designated Special Areas.

9. Who are the persons who need to apply?